Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Cranberry Sauce Recipe

Thanksgiving is my absolute favorite day of the year! I love fall, and I love good food. Put the two together and it makes for the best holiday of the year! Since being shoved into a gluten free lifestyle I have been more open minded when it comes to trying new foods, cranberry sauce for example. I have never been able to stomach the canned jelled cranberry sauce. I blame it on having my wisdom teeth and tonsils out within a year of each other which led to my disgust for anything gelled, especially Jell-O. A few years ago I decided to try making homemade cranberry sauce from actual cranberries (no gelatin involved!!!). Since then I have adapted the recipe for my own tastes. It is SUPER easy. I make it the day before and keep it in the refrigerator until time to eat. I also make it for Christmas dinner and any other occasion through out the year that it seems right. So here it is:

Ingredients:
12 oz Cranberries (I have found the frozen variety end up sweeter, but the fresh variety work well too.)
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Orange Juice
1 20 oz can Crushed Pineapple
2 Cinnamon Sticks (optional)

Mix sugar and orange juice in sauce pan and stir on medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Add cranberries and cinnamon sticks and let simmer, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries begin to pop (this may take as long as 45 minutes, so be patient!). Remove from heat, remove cinnamon sticks, mix in pineapple and refrigerate until ready to serve.

It's sweet and still a little tart, adds a dash of color to the plate, and is probably the easiest side dish for the perfect Thanksgiving dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment