Monday, February 13, 2012

The Importance of a Support System

Every body needs a support system at one point or another in their life. Embarking on a gluten free lifestyle is no different and I have come to learn that there are three types of people: those who are fellow sufferers; those who empathize and try to understand; and those that either just don't get it or care to get it.

I unfortunately didn't know any other Celiacs at the time of my diagnosis. It is an incredibly lonely world! In fact it wasn't until very recently that I have gotten to know other Celiacs and realized I am not alone. Since the opening of New Day Gluten Free, a gluten free cafe here in St. Louis, I go usually once a week, have a tasty turkey sandwich and read a book. It has given me the opportunity to chat with not only other patrons but the owners. For the first time I've been able to talk with people who understand exactly what the disease entails and other health issues that go along with it.

Thankfully Celiac Disease is becoming more well known and things like the internet make it easier to connect with others, purchase food, and check out restaurants. Even simply reading Facebook posts from other sufferers gives some comfort and reassurance that you're not alone.

The type of support I relied on after my diagnosis are those who could only empathize. Since the seriousness and carefulness required in the gluten free lifestyle is hard for people to understand I had friends and family read Gluten Free for Dummies by Danna Korn. It's a great resource, easy to understand, and she adds little bits of humor making it an easy read. After reading it I found that when I would go out to eat with people my friends and family would speak up before I could about my dietary restrictions, or they let me choose the restaurant so I can research it ahead of time.

Finally the third, and worst type. Some people just don't get it. I worked with a man who thought I blew the entire diet totally out of proportion because "a little bit of anything won't hurt you". My best strategy for dealing with such people is to say this "you may not agree or like my needs, but you do have to respect them!" There are always going to be those out there that can't wrap their heads around it so you just have to let it go, and whatever you do DO NOT let them cook for you, and try to resist the urge to slap them. I still have family members that after five years forget about my diet. Unfortunately you cannot control the actions of others!

The best thing you can do is to surround yourself with those that do support you and try to reach out to those that have been there. It's not an easy lifestyle change but it's worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment